Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Many months, many changes....

I have decided to pick this up again after 7 months....2,600 miles, new state, new culture, new job, new church, new climate....

There have been a lot of changes in my family's life since I last wrote, but we are doing well. We are learning to make the South our home. We sure miss the Northwest and our friends and church there, but God has shown us, on more than one occasion, that this has been the right move for us.

One of the tougher aspects of the move has been getting to know people...

If you have ever walking into a church and walked back out (for 5 weeks) without having one person say something other that a quick "hello" to you, I understand how you feel. We think we may have found a church, and after 5 weeks there is a lot we like. But, it bothers me that, after 5 weeks, we still have not had anyone ask if we are new or strike up a conversation. We've been thinking we may just need to be the initiators. But, something about that bothers me. It bothers me that there may have been people sitting just behind or to my side in my previous church that I did not take the time to stop and take an interest in. Whether it's right or not, having friends at church and feeling like people there care about me/my family is important. We hope to meet someone at this church soon. And, I hope to not ever forget these first few weeks, and to make sure I take a personal interest in the "strangers" I see around me at church in the future.

3 comments:

Carmen Andres said...

what part of the south are you in?! we just did a big move ourselves, only FROM the south to the east. heh, our move to the south, though, was from the west coast, too. it was like moving to a different country, a good one but a different one nonetheless. blessings to you as you settle in.

Dean Christensen said...

Nice to have you back online Nathan. I'm sorry it's been difficult for you guys to connect. Unfortunately, I'm sure there have been many at Village who experienced the same thing. In fact this weekend, I told people that for the first 3 minutes after the service, they couldn't talk to anyone they knew... only people they didn't know.

I hear reports that your job is going really well and you are quickly gaining the respect of your colleagues.

I look forward to future posts.

Nathan said...

Thanks, Dean. Great to hear from you.

Carmen, we're in Atlanta where the weather is downright tropical right now!