I tend to like well-written summary statements that, although short, pack a lot of meaning. And I've been thinking about such a statement on the meaning of Christmas and this advent season. However, after spending some weeks thinking on the topic and reading scripture, I'm realizing that this season just can't be easily defined by one sentence.
Advent is a time both for thinking about the birth of Jesus and for thinking about his second coming. Here are the points that have struck me the greatest these past several weeks as I have reflected on different readings from the Bible:
-Christmas brings us Jesus, God in personal human form. While certainly there is a "Holy otherness" to God, Christmas reminds me of the surprisingly personal nature of God.
-Christmas reminds me that Jesus' life, from birth to death, was countercultural. Different from the secular culture in which he lived...."the greatest should be like the yougest," "the one who rules like the one who serves." His life was also counter to what the religious culture expected.
-Christmas reminds me that truth is real and that truth matters. And it also reminds me that truth is less about outward appearances and more about the heart.
-Christmas reminds me to live intentionally. I need to use my gifts and talents wisely.
-Christmas reminds me of hope. Even amid blatant wrong, a future hope is certain.
personal
countercultural
truth-grounded
intentional
hopeful
These are the faith-characteristics I am reminded of, challenged with, and inspired by this advent season.
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment